Friday, December 5, 2008

The Limbic Area

I happened to know a famous doctor in this country, Dr Nthato Motlana, not only because he was Nelson Mandela's personal physician during and after his imprisonment; he was the Mandela family doctor too, during that whole period. My contact with Motlana dates back to the days I used to interview him as a young journalist for the Rand Daily Mail, and before we served together in the Black Community Programmes, founded by Steve Biko, preceding our banning orders, Steve and I in 1973, Motlana in 1977: Motlana was a Board member, for Johannesburg, for which I was in charge. I had recommended his appointment and he had graciously agreed. I never regreted that decision.
Subsequently we met in Paris (before I came into SY) where I interviewed him for Radio France International and also reminisced about those dreadful times in JHB. Years later I was again in his offices in Lesedi Clinic, and this time it was as a representative of a French company, who wished to do business in SA. In reality I was Mother's Representative as I wore Her pendant. The company disapproved of my habit, of not displaying their company but Shri Mataji's pendant instead. My boss told me one day that She does not feed me, but the company does - and I quipped back that in fact She does. Later they fired me. I can't say it was because of the refusal to take off Mother's pendant. I am a pensioner now, so it does not matter.
As I was quite at ease with my doctor friend, we had changed subjects after I told him I wished to share something extremely important with him, which we had not discussed before. He had just asked me about the person on my pendant. I told him it was Shri Mataji. He wanted to know more, so I went on about what we usually told people. Without hesitation I mentioned the limbic area of the brain as being the area that is opened up by the vibrations during the process and through which the Kundalini came through in the first place . To which Motlana remarked laughing in Tswana, his home language which I speak fluently, "Monna o itse eng ka Limbic area? - meaning "man, what do you know about the limbic area?" I laughed back and told him that Shri Mataji had taught us all that, as She really knew what she was talking about. I said She had also studied medicine. He did not expect that kind of knowledge from an ex-political activist, now turned into some kind of spiritual activist-cum-businessman. He was a very humurous and humble man, and that was the setting for his accepting to be taken through the process which ended with his hand on his limbic area. Being guided by his old protege, colleague and friend.
So on Monday morning when I learnt he had passed on, I was reminded of our little encounter in his offices in Lesedi Clinic, with the doctor asking me "man, what do you know about the limbic area?" soon after my return to this country. I did not dare insist on whether he "felt" anything at that time or after, and I just hoped he did recognise the event for what it was. We never spoke about that again, as I rarely had the opportunty to see him frequently. But I was satisfied that at least one soul in this country passed with his limbic area functioning a bit better. If only I could have been better at explainig how important it is to maintain it open through meditation. But my friend had intimidated me enough, and I had gone with him into an area we never ever suspected would interest us both when we first met in 1970. I only got my realisation in 1992, him in 1996; and my ardent wish is that he comes back as a fullly fledged born-realsised soul soon, to pursue his medical studies again. He was a very good community doctor, much loved and respected by his patients, whose limbic areas we should still reach and hope they will maintain them open knowingly and joyfully. Through meditation.
So I did a little bandhan for Nthato Motlana on Monday with my wife who was just beside herself with disbelief as we listened to the TV announcing his death. I saw a lot of dignitaries at his memorial service again yesterday on TV, and again made another bandhan. I am sure he is better now where he is.
"Monna o itse eng ka Limbic area?" Ha! Ha! Ha! Rest in Peace my friend, I miss you, too. Mother will look after you much better now.

"You have to go beyond this mind. And to go beyond this mind, the most helpful thing is Kundalini awakening, because She passes through your limbic area, pierces through your fontanel bone area, and just takes you away, out, into the realm of reality, and the Yoga takes place between your brain, I should say, your heart, with this All-pervading Power".

H.H.Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi, extracts from Birthday Puja 1996

From one who shared certain things with you, with Mandela, with Biko and and millions of others in our passion to change this country. We are just discovering the best way how to do it, and still learning. But many are missing the boat for the limbic area. Wish you could tell them more about, now that you know. Come back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment